Richard G. Jones, Jr., Ph.D is an academic, educator, consultant, and engaged citizen and community member.
Academic: Rich is a Communication Studies scholar whose research has been published in scholarly journals and books, and he presents regularly at local, regional, and national conferences. He is the author of the textbook Communication in the Real World, published in 2013 by Flat World Knowledge.
Educator: Rich has been recognized for teaching excellence by the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association, Eastern Illinois University, and the Rocky Mountain Communication Association. His philosophy of education is guided by the notion that the classroom is an entree to critical thinking, which prepares students to be engaged citizens who work for the public good.
Consultant: Rich has worked with non-profit organizations and social service providers on various topics related to diversity and communication, and is available to consult with organizations and businesses.
Engaged Citizen: Much of Rich's research is related to social justice and community building so being active in his communities is an important part of modeling the behaviors about which he writes and teaches.
- Intructors can now request review copies and students can purchase Rich's textbook Communication in the Real World: An Introduction to Communication Studies. Click here to learn more.
- Rich's Consulting page has been updated! Check it out to learn more.
- Rich's Blog for Communication in the Real World can be found here: http://www.richardgjonesjr.com/blog
- Rich is the 2012 winner of the "Jerry Mathis Outstanding Young Teacher Award." The award is presented annually by the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association to one communication educator in the state of Illinois. Rich will accept the award September 28 at the Hilton Lisle Hotel in Naperville IL.
- Rich won a Achievement and Contribution Awards, from Eastern Illinois University, to honor outstanding achievements and contributions in the areas of teaching, research, and service. In 2013 Rich was awarded in the "service" category, and in 2011 in the "balanced" category which considers teaching, research, and service as a whole.
Education and Experience
Rich is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Studies at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL, where he also serves as Basic Course Director, supervising the instruction of dozens of sections of Introduction to Speech Communication each semester.
Rich has a Ph.D. in Human Communication Studies with a concentration in Culture and Communication from the University of Denver; and a M.A. in Speech Communication, a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies, and a B.A. in Communication Studies from the University of North Carolina Greensboro.